Friday, December 30, 2016

DIY Removable Canopy for Collapsable Wagon

With 2 hula hoops, matching fabric (I used my leftover fabric), hair dryer, basic stitching skill (running stitch), fabric glue, needle and black thread, and wide elastic, I was able to make this canopy.

Back in my Dec.23 blog, my daughter got this collapsable wagon from Costco as a present from my Inlaws. We tried this already whenever we go to the malls or even if we just go out for a walk in the neighborhood and it was surely a hit! We got lots of compliment from others as they say that its a clever idea to transport a child in such places. We couldn't wait to use this in Disneyland. Btw, back to my previous blog, I wrote that I wanted to add a canopy on to it to give my daughter some shade or even some sort of a privacy if she manage to sleep while in the mall or in the grocery store. She always does that. Whenever she gets knocked out, she doesnt mind sleeping in the shopping carts lol! Her umbrella stroller wont recline so she can barely sleep in it.

And so, I checked with Amazon first to see if there's like a detachable canopy for sale.. And voila! I found this. Having a great review, I still kept looking for more and then I saw this. Now I got ideas on what to purchase, I still want to have something personal touches, DIY-ish for the wagon and here comes Pinterest!

Im glad there are a loooot of DIY CANOPY FOR WAGON ideas. I so love Pinterest! And another thing I love is that it will not cost me so much since I already have most of the materials on hand. So I came across this very cute canopy wagon from http://nik-of-all-trades.blogspot.com/2015/07/pimp-my-wagon.html?m=1 and started figuring out my own wagon. Here's my inspiration for this project.


And here is my version :

I added a cushion onto the flooring so that my daughter would be comfortable sitting or laying on it and covered it with the fabric and I stitched a seatbelts as well.

Then using a hair dryer, i heated the hula hoop to straighten out to make a support brace for the canopy to make it more sturdy and I fabric glue the ends and middle to keep in place.


And since mine is a fabric canopy, I stitched a wide elastic just the right size to insert the hula hoop poles. It may not look sturdy, but it is. Plus its easy to take off if you dont want to use it. I just have to keep telling my daughter not to play with it! Whew!!


So there you go, I am happy with the outcome of this project and I can't wait to use this for my daughter for our incoming travels next year.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link! It turned out great! Great idea heating the hula hoop and adding the cushions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I have a similar wagonote my neighbor gave me but its so sunny out so I can't really use it but I will definitely do this so I can use it more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Absolutely perfect for sunny days. Make sure to get a much thicker or darker shade of fabric to get a lotta shade. Don't forget to link me so I can see your finish product.šŸ˜œ

      Delete

ChocoBananaOatmeal Cookies

Hey Moms and Dads of Preschoolers like me, here is my latest discovery (well, atleast new to me lol!) that your picky eater won't resist...